180

You are currently visiting the SSAB group site

To go to your country specific site please follow this link:

About SSAB Tibnor

Tibnor

Leading supplier of steel, other metals and processing services in the Nordics

Tibnor distributes steel and other metals to various industries in the Nordics and Baltics, complemented by a wide range of value-adding processing and parts production services. Tibnor plays an important role in securing SSAB’s leadership in the Nordic home market. 

Tibnor is committed to a successful and constantly evolving Nordics. Tibnor is a meeting place for Nordic manufacturers. As a modern distributor of steel and other metals, Tibnor’s role goes far beyond actual delivery.

 

Fast facts

Number of employees: Approximately 1,100
Sales in 2018: SEK 8,434 million
Share of SSAB Group's total sales: 11%
Share of SSAB Group´s total EBITDA: 3%
Head of Tibnor: Mikael Nyquist (1963), President

Market position

Tibnor has a share of around 20% of the Nordic distribution market, with Sweden accounting for about 50% of sales, followed by Finland and Norway, both at about 20%, and then Denmark and the Baltics. The distribution and processing business accounts for about 85% of sales, with direct mill supplies accounting for the remaining 15%.
Tibnor has agreed to acquire the steel distribution business of the Danish company Sanistål A/S, Denmark’s second largest steel distributor, in order to complete its Nordic footprint. The transaction is expected to close in the early part of the second quarter of 2019.

 

Market drivers

 

Distributors have an important role in the market and nearly 55% of all steel delivered in the Nordic region, around 4 million tonnes, is supplied through distributors. The manufacturing industry in the Nordic region is characterized by a high degree of exports, hence the status of the global economy is an important factor for demand.
Value-adding services and outsourcing non-core competencies to a professional, specialized processing partner are of increasing importance for industrial customers seeking to increase their overall profitability and competitiveness. 

 

 

Strengths

With its steel service center and distribution network in the Nordics and Baltics, Tibnor is able to serve its customers with high delivery accuracy and short lead-times. Tibnor’s extensive product range and specialized processing services combined with logistics expertise and modern customer service solutions form a strong customer offering.

 

Strategy

Tibnor’s strategy is to win market shares through the broadest product offering in the Nordics and to grow volumes in the parts business through a specialized network of processing units. Working in close collaboration with strategic suppliers and key customers, Tibnor also continues to develop the value-added offering focusing on customer experience and leveraging digitalization and automation. Internally, this also means creating one Nordic company by utilizing competencies, best-practices, assets and purchasing power across the Nordics.

 

Customer segments

Tibnor has approximately 10,000 customers in various industries in the Nordics and Baltics. Customers range from large OEMs to small and mid-size industrial companies who use steel and other metals in their manufacturing processes and/or end products. Key segments are the following:

  • Subcontracting
  • Engineering
  • Automotive, including heavy commercial vehicles
  • Construction

 

Products and services

SSAB’s product range represents approximately 50% of Tibnor’s sales. Other suppliers’ products including engineering steel and long products (e.g. beams, merchant bars and hollow sections) represent approximately 33%. Stainless steel and non-ferrous metals, mainly aluminum and copper, account for approximately 17% of sales.

Tibnor is a logistics expert with a well-established distribution system that works with different logistics flows. Logistics solutions range from 24-hour stock deliveries to individual material flows. Tibnor also offers a variety of customer contact points and service solutions, for example e-services, EDI (electronic data interchange), Webshop or personal service.

Tibnor processes all product groups supplied to the market. Tibnor’s machinery and equipment in the steel service centers are specialized in different materials, which enables Tibnor to meet very complex customer needs. Tibnor has three processing units in Finland, five in Sweden, three in Norway, as well as units in Denmark and Lithuania. 

 

Competitors

Competitors include BE Group, Stena Stål, Norsk Stål and Kontino, as well as a number of national local companies and niche actors.