Sustainable building and construction products and services in Europe
Ruukki Construction offers sustainable building and construction products and services such as roofs, envelopes and frame structures. Core business segments are non-residential, residential and industrial construction. Ruukki Construction has operations in 10 countries and production units are in Finland, Poland, Sweden, Estonia, Lithuania and Ukraine. Ruukki’s customers are active in construction and real estate sectors.
Environmentally-aware construction has become normal practice. Alongside environmental awareness, customers’ requirements include the construction of high-quality, healthy buildings. Ruukki is responding to evolving requirements by offering customers the best products and solutions to promote sustainability. Examples of this include increasingly more energy-efficient panels and the Ruukki Life panel, which is mostly made from recycled material which cuts carbon dioxide emissions originating in production by as much as 20%.
Share or SSAB Group's total EBITDA: 3%
Ruukki Construction has a strong market position in residential and non-residential construction in Finland, Scandinavia, the Baltic states, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, which are Ruukki’s key geographical market areas.
Demand drivers and trends
Construction business cycles impact greatly on demand in Ruukki Construction’s market area. Recent years have seen strong demand in the construction markets in the Nordic countries and in Europe, but growth is now gradually plateauing. Alongside this, demand and the markets are being driven strongly by trends such as digitalization, consumer behavior, urbanization and sustainable construction.
Ruukki’s major strengths include a strong, recognized brand in core customer segments. The brand incorporates reliability, extensive, up-to-date competence, strong production capacity as well as a broad range of advanced products.
- Recognized brand in core customer segments
- Product and service innovations benefitting from advanced technology
- Quality, sustainable, certified products with extensive warranties
- Wide-ranging know-how covering frame and envelope structure design, consultancy, manufacturing and installation optimized from one and the same supplier
- Production capacity to meet requirements for large projects
- Strong steel construction materials know-how
- Professional optimization of structures to support lifecycle objective in customer projects
- In-depth expertise in steel structures generates customer value especially in structurally demanding projects
Ruukki Construction’s strategy is to be at the forefront of construction through its advanced products and services. The product businesses - Residential Roofing and Building Components – play a key role in Ruukki’s pursuit of profitable growth by being a leading player, for example, in product development, the provision of premium products and services and as a user of digitalization.
Residential roofing products:
Ensure and easy and reliable roofing experience for customers.
Provide a complete steel roof package for private consumers, prefabricated house factories, roof installers and tinsmiths both for the construction of new houses and the renovation of existing ones. Serve these end-customers in efficient cooperation with existing channels: dealer specialists, dealer generalists and direct sales.
- High service focus on key customers and improved availability of products
- Easy and reliable roofing experience supported by advanced/tailored services
- Scale benefits in production, raw material harmonization to improve efficiency
Focus on the whole building lifecycle.
Providing leading energy efficient and architectural envelope solutions for construction companies, tinsmiths, installation companies and frame & envelope contractors. Expand value chain towards decision makers and influencers; architects, designers and real estate investors. Focus on value sales. Providing components such as sandwich panels and claddings also for renovating existing buildings.
- Differentiate with an energy-efficient, architectural and sustainable portfolio
Improve cost efficiency every day without compromising safety, quality and customer collaboration.
Develop project portfolio by increasing design responsibility. Collaborate with customers already at the project development stage.
- Focus on collaboration with customers in chosen markets and prioritized segments
- Focus on cost optimization and efficiency in all project phases and functions benefiting end-customers: One project, one team
- Complete projects reliably without disrupting the customer’s business in both basic and structurally demanding projects or projects that change during the construction process
Customers and end-users
Core business segments:
- Non-residential construction
- Residential construction
- Industrial construction
Ruukki Construction’s customers operate in many activities in real estate and construction. The most important decision groups are:
- Architects and structural designers
- Main contractors and installation companies
- Real estate owners and developers
- Residential roofing dealers and tin smiths
- House owners
Products and services
- Steel roofs, rainwater systems and accessories for residential construction
- Components such as sandwich panels, load-bearing sheets and façade claddings for non-residential construction
- Frame solutions used in non-residential buildings
- Design and installation services
Ruukki Construction has production units in Finland, Poland, Lithuania, Sweden, Estonia and Ukraine. Ruukki Construction’s major steel supplier is SSAB Europe. There are also external steel suppliers, mainly in CEE and Russia. Competitiveness is secured by market level pricing from all suppliers.
Ruukki Construction’s competitors include companies, such as Kingspan, Paroc, Lindab, Areco, the construction business of steel companies, small local companies and alternative construction materials.
Building components and residential roofing products:
- Component suppliers such as companies, such as Kingspan, Lindab, Paroc Panel Systems, Areco
- Construction business of global steel companies
- Small, local companies
- Alternative construction materials
- Steel frame manufacturers
- Procurement models based on small part-projects
- Alternative construction materials