When it comes to sustainability, SSAB Americas is making a world of difference. The EcoSmart™ program is our way of making people more aware of the environmental sustainability of our steel. For us, sustainability isn’t something new; it’s built into who we are and how we operate. In short, we are proud to make planet-friendly products using a planet-friendly process.
To learn more about the EcoSmart program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our steel is 100% recyclable.
- Our steel is made from 97% recycled materials.
- The durability and high strength of our steel means it lasts a long time, adding years to the life-cycle of products made using SSAB steel.
- Our long-lasting steel is used for applications such as transportation, where end users can enjoy reduced fuel consumption, and in the energy sector, contributing to cleaner, more renewable energy resources.
- To produce our steel, we use recovered scrap metal – 97% recycled materials to be exact. This is material that has been diverted from landfills, everything from discarded appliances to old car parts.
- We use recovered scrap tires as a raw material substitute for carbon in our production process. We recycle more than 600,000 tires a year, and have recycled more than 5 million scrap tires to date.
- We utilize renewable electrical energy in our manufacturing process, particularly wind energy bought through a certified program.
- Our production process results in 66% fewer CO2 emissions compared to the 2014 US steel industry average.
- Since 2010, we’ve reduced our energy consumption by approximately 25%.
- We divert more than 800,000 pounds of recyclable materials from landfill disposal annually through an innovative general trash recycling process.
- We transition nearly 41,000 tons of hazardous waste every year to being recycled for beneficial purposes.
- We take nearly 9,000 tons of industrial nonhazardous waste every year from various production processes and recycle these materials, saving them from landfills.
- We recycle millions of gallons of water every year during the steel manufacturing process for water conservation.
- We were the first electric arc furnace (EAF) steel producer in North America to successfully certify all of our Environmental Management Systems to the ISO 14001 standard.
- We dedicate funding annually for ISO 14001 Continuous Improvement projects.
- We designed and built a world-class Research & Development facility in Iowa, which opened in 2010 and has earned LEED designation.
- We minimize waste and optimize loads with the use of waste compactors to lower fuel consumption by transportation contractors.
- We maintain an unparalleled focus on regulatory compliance and safety.
- We utilize state-of-the-art environmental systems and controls to help us continuously improve our operations.
- We’ve reduced our energy consumption by using smarter lighting, both in and around our mills and facilities.