SSAB participates in “Industry Transition Dialogue” in connection with the UN conference Stockholm+50
May 30, 2022 8:30 CEST 6 min read
SSAB has been invited to participate in LeadIT's and World Economic Forum's meeting "Industry Transition Dialogue" on June 1, as well as in a number of other events in connection with the UN conference Stockholm+50.
Industry Transition Dialogue is held before the international UN meeting Stockholm+50 "A healthy planet for all - our responsibility, our opportunity" taking place in Stockholm on 2-3 June 2022, with Sweden as host.
Industry Transition Dialogue includes Sweden’s Climate and Environment Minister Annika Strandhäll, India's Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav and Anthony Hobley, Industry Transition Champion & Executive Fellow at the World Economic Forum, and John Kerry, the US Special Envoy for Climate Change. SSAB’s, CEO Martin Lindqvist will participate.
SSAB is participating to show that a green transition is possible and to participate in dialogue about the opportunities and challenges nationally and globally that the transition brings. In order to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement, it is required that entire industry value chains change, incluing ones that are considered ‘hard to abate.’
In the summer of 2021, SSAB produced the world's first steel made from sponge iron reduced by hydrogen gas on a pilot scale. SSAB plans to offer fossil-free steel on an industrial scale to the market as early as in 2026 and aims to largely eliminate carbon dioxide emissions from its own operations in around 2030, 15 years ahead of previous plans. Together with our partners and customers, we want to build completely fossil-free value chains, from mine to end product.
SSAB will participate in the following events:
• 31 May Study visit to SSAB / HYBRIT in Luleå for members of LeadIT and other international guests. Host SSAB and LeadIT. (Media welcome)
• June 1 at 8.50-9.45 CEST Volvo Group / LeadIT event at the Stockholm Fair. Participants include John Kerry, the United States' special envoy on climate issues, Sweden’s Minister of Climate and Environment Annika Strandhäll, Volvo's CEO Martin Lundstedt and SSAB's CEO Martin Lindqvist.
• 1 June at 10.00-13.00 CEST "Industry Transition Dialog" hosted by LeadIT, WEF and Mission Possible Partnership. SSAB's CEO Martin Lindqvist participates. More info here: https://www.industrytransition.org/events/industry-transition-dialogue/
• 2 June at 10.45-11.30 CEST UN Global Compact Leaders Summit, Panel: “Accelerating Climate Action: Climate Transition Plans in Europe” digital. Christina Friborg, SSAB's sustainability director, participates.
• 2 June 15.30-17.00 CEST Business Sweden, “Pioneer the possible - from Stockholm to Sharm el-Sheik” Stockholm+50, at Älvsjömässan. SSAB's CTO Martin Pei participates.
• 3 June 9.00-10.00 CEST The World Business Council for Sustainable Development, WBCSD, Panel Discussion “How to accelerate the mobility value chain sustainable transformation? At Älvsjömässan, Value-Chain Stage. Christina Friborg, SSAB's sustainability director, participates
For further information, please contact:
Mia Widell, presschef SSAB, [email protected], tel. +46 76527250
For interest from the media to participate in the study visit to Luleå 31 May, contact [email protected]