One challenge facing the steel industry is to secure important competence in the future. Developing opportunities in a global and safe work environment are critical. SSAB's strategy combines economic growth with sustainable development. In 2014 SSAB launched a new Sustainability Strategy with new targets for Environmental responsibility, sustainable products and social responsibility. The Sustainability strategy is closely linked to SSAB’s business strategy Taking the Lead.
SSAB’s strategic and sustainability objectives
SSAB’s strategic objectives relate to the six parts of the strategy.
|Leader in domestic markets
||Leader in terms of profitability and volumes in North America and the Nordic region
|Leader within high strength steels
||High strength steels shall account for 50% of shipments, of which 35% to emerging markets
|Leader within value added-services
||50% of shipments shall include value added services
|Superior customer experience
||Leader in customer satisfaction surveys
||Attractive employer with motivated employees. One of the world's leading steel companies in terms of health and safety
||Profitability at 70% capacity utilization
SSAB’s sustainability objectives have been produced in order to supplement and support the strategic objectives. These sustainability objectives consist of environmental targets aimed at minimizing the impact of operations on the environment, and SSAB’s social responsibility objectives, aimed at achieving fairness for all involved. An increased percentage of high strength steels constitutes both a strategic objective and a sustainability objective that contributes to more sustainable products and solutions.
||By the end of 2018, individual activities shall, in a sustainable manner and when taken together on an annual basis, have:
- reduced by 100,000 tonnes carbon dioxide emissions derived from fossil fuels
- reduced by 20 GWh the use of purchased energy
- reduced by 10,000 tonnes the quantity of material deposited in landfills or sent for destruction externally
- high strength steels shall account for 50% of shipments, of which 35% to emerging markets
- An annual reduction of at least 5% in lost time injuries per million work hours
- All employees shall have annual performance dialogues •An Employee Satisfaction Index of at least 90
- Ensuring compliance with SSAB’s Code of Business Ethics and behavior in accordance with our values
- All employees shall be trained in business ethics