About the mill
•Location: Borlänge, Sweden
•History: Domnarfvets Jemverk ironworks was built in 1878 and has been part of Borlänge since then
What we do
•Products made: Hot-rolled and cold-rolled high-strength steel, SSAB's largest strip rolling system
•Other services: Cut-to-length, and coil slitting
•Product end uses: Heavy transport, automotive, lifting, containers etc.
•The Borlänge facility is located in downtown Borlänge.
•There are approx. 40 km of railroad within the site area.
Borlänge is located in Dalarna County, 200 km northwest of Stockholm, the Swedish capital. The city has a population of around 50,000 and is today home to heavy industry, a university, the head office of the Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket) and many small companies. Almost everything is within walking distance, and the city offers a lot of outdoor and diverse cultural and recreational activities.
About the mill
•Location: Luleå, Sweden
•History: In 1938, the so-called pig iron inquiry proposed that an ironworks should be located in Luleå and in 1940 Norrbottens Järnverk AB, NJA, was founded, with the Swedish government as owner. The proximity to iron ore was one of the basic reasons for the facility in Luleå. NJA was built during the 1950s. In the early 1960s, production and sales improved significantly and NJA was Sweden’s second largest steel producer, with an annual production of 400,000 tonnes, and accounted for 30% of Swedish exports of rolled-steel products. During the 1970s, the prevailing international steel crisis triggered the start of events that led to the founding of SSAB.
What we do
• Products made: Slabs
• Other services: Coke production, crude iron production, steel processing, continuous casting, production, continuous casting
• Product end uses: Other steel mills
•Between 2000 and 2015, Blast Furnace 3 in Luleå produced 31.5 million tonnes of pig iron (crude iron). That's the weight of a railroad that goes 8 times around the world!
•Near the western guarded entrance you can find SSAB's own sports facility "The Wellness Center." All SSAB employees, including spouses and children up to 21 years of age, can work out there for free. The Wellness Center offers a modern gym with classes in areas such as spinning and muscle pump. In addition, a gymnasium, a bowling alley, and a tennis court are available.
Luleå is a good city to live in and one that is constantly growing. Near the vibrant city center, the archipelago and countryside await you at your doorstep. Luleå is a real cultural and sports-minded city, and if you are interested in sports you can watch top-class ice hockey and basketball. Luleå is also home to Sweden's most northernmost university, “Luleå University of Technology” (LTU), and Tekniikans Hus.
What We Do
• Products produced: Hardox wear plate, Strenx- high strength structural steel, Armox – protection plate and Toolox – engineering and tool steel
• Other services: Coke production, pig iron production, post-treatment of the steel, continuous casting, formatting, quenching and tempering and painting and marking, deliveries from our own deep harbor
• Product end uses: Recycling components, quarries, mining equipment, lifting equipment
• Two of Sweden’s three blast furnaces are in Oxelösund and can together produce more than 5,000 tons of pig iron per day.
• Oxelösund is Sweden’s only integrated steelworks – from iron ore to finished steel products. Size of the production site is twice as big as Monaco.
Oxelösund, with its geographical location jutting out into the sea, provides wonderful opportunities to experience the beautiful archipelago.
SSAB is the largest employer in town and has a large impact on the region's business community. Operations are integrated in Oxelösund, where you will find both metallurgy and sheet metal production.
We are a high-tech steel company with unique expertise in materials technology. This has given us a position of world leadership in the field of high-strength steel. We are continually developing our products and processes so that we can supply our customers with stronger steels in shorter delivery times.